Keep Cozy and Secure All Winter Long | SERVPRO® of West Forsyth County
The winter season is upon us, and you’re sure to feel the freeze here in Winston-Salem as temperatures start to plummet. As the weather turns colder, you may be eager to reach for your thermostat or space heater remote, but before you do, it’s a good idea to be aware of all the ways heating your home could result in deadly flames.
The arctic cold front has already brought snow, sleet and ice our way this year, so you’d better cozy up! Use this guide to heat your home safely without the risk of flames.
Most houses come with a furnace and an HVAC system, which aid in distributing warmth throughout the house. To keep your furnace running in the winter, you’ll need to maintain it on a regular basis. Some vital chores include checking your furnace for any problems and giving it a good scrub to ensure it runs smoothly and doesn’t come across too much dust or debris.
As you complete these tasks, go ahead and change your HVAC system’s air filter. Remind yourself to switch out the filter every 90 days or at the beginning of a new season to help keep clean air circulating throughout your home.
Consistent maintenance is the key to keeping your HVAC system and furnace in great working condition without the risk of flames.
If your Winston-Salem home is decorated with a fireplace, you likely know how simple it is to keep your whole home warm and toasty. Wood-burning and artificial fireplaces can be a decorative way to stay warm in the winter, but if you fail to maintain them, you may start a fire that isn’t in the fireplace!
Checking your fireplace for issues and keeping it clean will help you prevent flames.
If your home uses a wood-burning fireplace, remove ash accumulation, check to make sure your chimney is clear and clean off soot or smoke marks on the nearby bricks. If you fire up an artificial fireplace, take off the cover and clean it inside and outside to clear away dust accumulation.
There’s a good chance you fire up a space heater in your Winston-Salem home when winter rolls around. This equipment is simple to use and can heat up any space in minutes, but don’t be misled by its ease of use! Space heaters can quickly turn into a fire hazard when used without caution.
The good news is that you can use your space heater without fear of flames as long as you take precautions, such as keeping it three feet away from anything flammable. Avoid accidental flames by supervising it when it’s on and shutting it off when you’re done.
Keep your space heater plugged directly into a wall outlet and place it on a flat surface to prevent tipping it over. With a few small safety measures, you can stay cozy this winter and protect your home from fatal fires.
If you experience fire damage this season, give us a call at SERVPRO of West Forsyth County for immediate assistance. We’re here 24⁄7 when you need us! 336-946-1131