Preparing for water damage
Winston Salem Water Damage Tips from SERVPRO of West Forsyth County
Each passing year, water damage costs property owners in Winston Salem millions and millions of dollars. Water damage may be the result of plumbing issues related to pipe breaks, leaky toilets, showers, or tubs. Unfortunately, there are also many factors leading to water damage that you have little control over. Flooding, natural disasters, and the water left behind after a firefighting effort. Despite the fact that water damage can cause substantial problems to your business or residential property, there are several precautionary and follow-up procedures that you can implement to decrease the severity of the damage. To learn more about the appropriate course of action to take in the event that water damage affects your home or business, please read on.
There are several strategies you can implement to prevent your home from being heavily damaged in the face of the unwanted water.
• When you go on vacation, be sure to shut your main water line off. Doing so will decrease the likelihood of flooding that results from a break in a frozen pipe or washing machine hose.
• Allow your faucets to drip regularly when the weather is extremely cold. This will allow any water that freezes to have room for expansion without rupturing a pipe.
• Clean your gutters and downspouts regularly to safeguard against roof damage that results from the overflowing of water that may enter your home through the fascia or soffits.
• Have your hose connections and fittings inspected annually? Keep a good eye on your appliances.
Safety Tips After a Water Damaging Event
• Stay away from rooms in which the ceiling has started to sag as a result of water retention.
• Do not use electrical appliances that could have been damaged by fire or water.
• Refrain from using electrical appliances and equipment when you are standing on wet floors or carpet.
• Do not enter a room with standing water if the electricity is turned on. Be careful. More firefighters die from electrocution than from fire or smoke.
• Call for professional assistance immediately. Start with your insurance company. Obtaining prompt clean up services can help preclude extensive water damage. It can also prevent the emergence of unwanted mold and bacteria growth. SERVPRO's professionals are highly skilled in offering detail-oriented, expedient services that prevent your home from becoming susceptible to structural damage after initial exposure to excess water.
Although dealing with water damage can be a problematic task, knowing what to do and who to call can prevent the issue from inducing too much anxiety. When you're ready to hire excellent water remediation services at affordable prices, it's time to call the professionals of SERVPRO. We offer round the clock assistance and unprecedented customer service, so call now to obtain the results-driven, client-centered remediation assistance you deserve!
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
We live and work in Winston Salem too; we might even be neighbors. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of West Forsyth County is close by and ready to respond to your water and flood damage emergency. We are proud to be an active member of the community.
We use scientific drying principles and provide validation and documentation that your property is dry and the job is complete. We are here for you. (336) 946-1131