Why get professional help for fire damage
Fire can be devastating and the last thing you want to consider is jeopardizing your family any further. Should you experience a fire staying safe should be your highest priority. We already talked do’s and don’ts of fire damage. Now we will let you know why. As we said fire can happen any day of the year, have a plan to get your family out of the home safely. Having a central spot to gather is important to knowing quickly that all family members are alright. Ensure that everyone knows the plan and meeting spot.
After the fire is out, is it safe to stay in the house? Most of the time the answer is going to be no. The reason it’s no is that there are a number of things in your home that when fire has reached them, they give off a gas or fumes that could be toxic. Another reason is that you should questions the structural integrity of your home and area affected by the fire. Has the fire affected the electrical? The local power company may have had to pull the meter if the fire was started electrically or affected the wiring of your home. Asking the firefighters may give you some answers as to weather you can stay, but for these reasons you are probably better off not.
With homes being lived in, and we know life happens, have items fallen in the floor? Wet materials are heavy and ceilings may be in danger of collapsing from being doused with water. These are even more reasons for safety to be exercised when moving about the scene. Soot can be ground in to carpets and be harder to save. Soot also transfers easily from a surface to your hands, then onto upholstery, again making it harder to restore. Count on the professional services of SERVPRO of West Forsyth County to clean these items and walls, doing it yourself may cost more in the long run. Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
If the fire department did cut power to the home. Inventory and empty the freezer and refrigerator, and prop doors open. You may be covered for a certain amount of food in these items. Electrical items may have been damaged and create a shock. We have professionals who will safely go through, clean and ensure the safe operations of those items that you are unsure about. If the power is still on do not turn on lights or fans that have been sprayed with water, the wiring may have been damaged
Medicine, canned or packaged foods and beverages that were stored near the heat may not be safe to consume due to soot and toxic vapors. Contact you Doctor to let them know you will need a refill and why. Again, inventory these items as they may be covered under your insurance policy.
Metal items like nickel and chrome faucets and fixtures, guns, silverware, and jewelry can be protected from pitting by the soot if sprayed with a thin coat of oil or petroleum jelly. House plants can be saved if cared for properly by washing both sides of the leaves.
Contact SERVPRO of West Forsyth County Regarding Fire or Smoke Damage Emergency - (336) 946-1131
SERVPRO of West Forsyth County proudly serves Winston-Salem, Clemmons, Lewisville, Pfafftown, Rural Hall, and surrounding areas. We are available 24 hours /7 days a week and are ready to restore damage to your home or commercial structure. It is always best to contact us directly.